This one-day workshop is fun and friendly and suitable for complete beginners. You’ll make two upcycled leather journals using the long stitch technique which is simple to master and looks stunning (no glue involved).
What’s covered in the workshop?
The workshop runs from 10.00 to 4.30. You’ll start in the morning by making a small A6 book with a wraparound leather cover (this will introduce you to all the basic techniques). In the afternoon session you’ll be learning more advanced techniques and constructing a larger and more complex leather journal.
At the end of the workshop you’ll go home with two unique leather journals with wraparound covers. You’ll also have the bookmaking and leatherworking skills to make more at home.
You’ll learn the following skills during the workshop:
- Finding the grain of the paper
- Folding the paper to make sections using a bone folder
- Making a template and using an awl
- Choosing leather (it will be precut)
- Using a Japanese Screw Punch to make holes in the leather
- Mastering the dramatic ‘Long Stitch’ sewing technique
- Sewing buttons on to leather or making ties
- Incorporating the features of the recycled leather into your design
How can you book onto a workshop?
I run workshops in a number of locations, you can find details on how to book onto a workshop at each location on this page (Please note in some locations you will need to book via the third party provider I work with).
Booking in Chichester, West Sussex – £80 (Max of 3)
To book please contact me by email or telephone 07908 961 229 to check there’s space. Please then pay by either PayPal, BACS or cheque. I’ll then confirm your place and send you full joining instructions. Please find details of my Chichester cancellation policy here.
Booking in Stockbridge, Hampshire – £80 (Max of 5)
For The Bobbin Sewing School in Stockbridge please book via their website. Alternatively you can contact Alison Warner on 07786 405213 or by email on email@example.com. Please contact me directly with any questions about the content of the workshop. Next workshop here in 2020.
Do you need to bring anything?
All materials and handouts are included. There will be lots of homemade cake and tea/coffee in Chichester and Stockbridge, but please bring a packed lunch.
Upcoming workshops in Chichester
September 2019 – February 2020
- Saturday 7th September 2019
- Thursday 31st October 2019 (1 place left)
- Saturday 30th November 2019
- Saturday 18th January 2020
- Saturday 22nd February 2020