This one-day workshop is fun and friendly and suitable for complete beginners. You’ll make two leather journals (using upcycled or new leather) bound with the long stitch technique which is simple to master and looks stunning (no glue involved).
What’s covered in the workshop?
The workshop runs from 10.00 to 4.30. You’ll start in the morning by making a small A6 book with a wraparound leather cover (this will introduce you to all the basic techniques). In the afternoon session you’ll be learning more advanced techniques and constructing a larger and more complex leather journal. The afternoon book can be closed in a variety of ways, you can keep it simple or let your creativity rip.
At the end of the workshop you’ll go home with two unique leather journals with wraparound covers. They’re perfect as bullet journals, sketchbooks or just for doodling. You’ll have the book making and leather working skills to make more at home.
You’ll learn the following skills during the workshop:
- Finding the grain of the paper
- Folding the paper to make sections using a bone folder
- Making a template and using an awl
- Choosing leather (it will be precut)
- Using a Japanese Screw Punch to make holes in the leather
- Mastering the dramatic ‘Long Stitch’ sewing technique
- Sewing buttons on to leather or making ties
- Incorporating the features of the recycled leather into your design
Workshops in Chichester in 2020
- Saturday 18th January (full)
- Saturday 22nd February (full)
- Saturday 21st March (full)
- Thursday 28th May
- Saturday 4th July
- Friday 9th October
- Saturday 21st November
Booking in my workshop in Chichester, West Sussex – £80 (Max of 4)
To book please contact me by email or telephone 07908 961 229 to check there’s space. Please then pay by either BACS, PayPal or cheque. I’ll then confirm your place and send you full joining instructions. Please find details of my Chichester cancellation policy here.
Do you need to bring anything?
All materials and handouts are included. There will be lots of homemade cake and tea/coffee, but please bring a packed lunch.
An excellent day. Lynne leads you through the processes in a clear and friendly manner, with lots of inspirational suggestions as you go to make two very individual and personal books. Sharing ideas, laughs and delicious cake made it a great day. Highly recommended.
– Helen, 2019